Thursday, July 23, 2015

What Is A Rebirth Ceremony? - Orlando (Re) Birth Photography




"A woman at birth is at once her most powerful and vulnerable...."


No woman's birth experience is the same and children are brought earth side in more ways than one. There is a saying that goes along the lines of "As long as mom and baby are healthy, that's all that matters" When people say this, they are not taking into account the mental health of the mother. Physical health absolutely matters but what also matters is that no matter how the baby makes it into this world, that the mother isn't to feel like it isn't her body the baby is coming from and that she has no control and no choices about what happens to her. This is a big problem! So many people go on suffering thinking that their feelings aren't valid. It isn't a case of things not going as planned because we all know that plans and kids don't often follow the same path. It's a case of violation of bodies, minds and a matter of respect.

I, unfortunately, was one of those people. Left to suffer alone because *I* didn't matter. I just needed to get over it. I was violated physically and mentally. I fought until I could no longer fight and what was the best day of my life was also the worst. I woke many nights for the first 2 months of my child's life from nightmares and cried myself to sleep each night. I thank God every day for a doula, Colleen Juul with Greatness In You. I told her my story and she lifted me up and set me on the path to heal my heart. I really will never have the words for what she did for me.


More women need to know about this incredible way to heal birth trauma and don't forget about daddy because they experience birth trauma too!

What is a rebirth ceremony?

A rebirth ceremony is a second chance to feel in charge of yourself, to get a second chance to experience what you felt robbed of, to heal your heart from birth trauma. It is ALL ABOUT YOU.

Colleen makes each person's experience very personal and tailors it to what they wanted to their birth experience to be like. She goes all the way down to the little details of your personal interests and what scents make you happy. It is very focused on symbolism and helping you let things go. With our ceremony we had guided mediation, we burned the words that hurt and rewrote happy things to replace them with, I had an opportunity to reconnect with my partner and just focus on each other and we ended the night in the water, where I had planned to become a mother and with a photographer so I could hold onto those memories forever! Every person's experience will be different, as with birth but what is important is that is YOURS. I felt empowered, happy and alive. It is amazing to have your feelings validated!  I can't help but think that we went through our pain so we could share the healing with others.
My son and I bonding the water :) 

After my own experience, I decided that I wanted to be part of somebody else's. It wasn't until I saw it from the outside in that I realized how powerful it really is to watch somebody's heart healing before your eyes!

If you have experienced birth trauma, please don't suffer in silence. There is help and YOU MATTER TOO!






















No comments:

Post a Comment